xili-postinpost provides a triple toolkit to insert post(s) everywhere in webpage. Template tag function, shortcode and widget are available.
- 1 infos
- 2 Description
- 3 Installation
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4.1 What is - xili-postinpost - versus - Recent Posts - delivered by WP as default widget ?
- 4.2 In template tag `xi_postinpost`: is it possible to use query passed as array ?
- 4.3 What is - conditional - display ?
- 4.4 What happens if the condition is not true ?
- 4.5 When using shortcode, the result display excerpt under the title, why ?
- 4.6 What is - from to - feature introduced in 0.9.2 ?
- 4.7 Is xili-post-in-post compatible with xili-language trilogy ?
- 4.8 Support Forum or contact form ?
- 5 Screenshots
- 6 Changelog
- 7 More infos
- 8 Upgrade Notice
Contributors: michelwppi, MS dev.xiligroup.com
Donate link: dev.xiligroup.com
Tags: theme, post, plugin, posts, page, multilingual, widget, shortcode, template tag, conditional tag, template file
Requires at least: 3.0
Tested up to: 3.3
Stable tag: 1.1.0
- xili-postinpost provides a triple toolkit to insert post(s) everywhere in webpage - outside or inside WP loop - . The displayed post(s) are resulting of queries like those in WP loop but not interfere with main WP loop. Widget contains conditional syntax.*
- Template tag function `xi_postinpost()` - see source ,
- shortcode like `[xilipostinpost query="p=1"]` or like `
[xilipostinpost query="cat=3,4,150&showposts=2&lang=en_us"]` as in [About Page](http://dev.xiligroup.com/?page_id=3) at end.
- and widget with powerful syntax for contextual display of query's result.
are available for developers, authors and webmasters.
In widget (and template tag), if option is set, it is possible to choose display period and expiration date.
For each post of the resulting list, the displayed result is hightly customizable and can contain title, excerpt, content, thumbnail image with or without link to the post as single.
New with 1.1 :A shortcode like `
[xilipostinpost query="cat=3,4,150&showposts=2" lang="cur"]` with param `lang` set to `cur` give a result according the current language (example: inside an undefined page displayed according browser language).
Upload the xili-postinpost plugin to your blog, Activate it. Go to settings.
If you want to use widget, go to *Widgets* menu of Appearance menu.
To use shortcode inside post's content, refer to examples provided in these posts [here](http://dev.xiligroup.com/xili-postinpost/).
To use core function of plugin, as developer, refer directly to code source before inserting (and echoing result) the function in your theme.
- a minimum of knowledges about queries (as end part of short link) like `?p=1` or `?cat=17&tag=new`
- how are organized datas and semantic in the website.
- able to read WordPress Codex !
- for results formatting, some knowlegdges in html and class - xili-postinpost don't install style but is able to set html and class if option is enabled for widget or by adding params in shortcode.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is - xili-postinpost - versus - Recent Posts - delivered by WP as default widget ?
- Recent Posts** only displays title with link of latest posts from all categories.
With **xili-postinpost** it is possible to choose what to display and which categories or tags associated with post (and html tags or class).
In template tag `xi_postinpost`: is it possible to use query passed as array ?
YES, see below an example using array and userfunction (formatting the result of query differently than default) :
` <?php echo xi_postinpost( array( 'showposts' => '4' , 'query' => array( 'category__and' => array( $cat_id, 7 ) ), 'userfunction' => 'xili_pip_banner' ) ); ?>
What is - conditional - display ?
Currently the result of widget is ever displayed. Here it is possible to use function (currents or made by webmaster) to decide when to display according context. By example if you use `is_page`, if the condition return true, the widget show the result here when a page is displayed in website. Another example with `is_category` and params `1,5,87` in the query input : when one these three categories is shown, the widget show the resulting list.
What happens if the condition is not true ?
If the condition is false, you can decide to show result of another query. If the condition is not inside the conditional template tags, it is possible to create and use a conditional function created by you (in functions.php).
When using shortcode, the result display excerpt under the title, why ?
See the topic [here in forum](http://forum2.dev.xiligroup.com/topic.php?id=60)
What is - from to - feature introduced in 0.9.2 ?
The webmaster is able to define a period (a slot) when the widget is visible in sidebar (or the shortcode is display inside the content). By example: for an advertising post or an article for a future meeting which disappears the day after the meeting (expiration date).
Is xili-post-in-post compatible with xili-language trilogy ?
Yes, visit [here](http://dev.xiligroup.com/) and look on the right sidebar or go in WordPress [repository](http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=xili&sort=).
Support Forum or contact form ?
Effectively, prefer [forum](http://forum2.dev.xiligroup.com/) to obtain some support.
Run [live here](http://dev.xiligroup.com/)
1. widget settings UI for a simple query 2. widget settings UI for a simple conditional query and all display/input options set. 3. widget settings UI for a two conditional queries
- 2012-01-17 - 1.1.0 - add param lang in shortcode (as in widget for the_curlang)
- 2011-11-27 - 1.0.1 - serialize for cache if query is array as possible in template tag `xi_postinpost()`
- 2011-10-21 - 1.0.0 - add user function param (*userfunction*) to define your own displayed resulting loop
- 2011-06-06 - 0.9.7 - fixes, source code cleaned, support email improved
- 2011-01-17 - 0.9.6 - fixes pagination when paginated parent has paginated children (thanks to Piotr)
- 2010-12-11 - 0.9.5 - add option for better html and css styles choice in widget.
- 2010-12-10 - 0.9.4 - fixes featured image ever as link and load textdomain for UI, add featured image params in shortcode
- 2010-11-29 - 0.9.3 - fixes message mistake when no post (warning)
- 2010-11-28 - 0.9.2 - **From to** features added
- 2010-11-21 - 0.9.1 - fixes doc and more docs
- 2010-11-14 - 0.9.0 - settings admin and pre-doc
- 2010-11-12 - 0.8.0 - first public release w/o settings admin
© 20120117 - MS - dev.xiligroup.com
- Pre-tested on WP 3.1 mono and multisite mode.
- Tested on WP 3.0 multisite mode.
- NOT TESTED ON WP 2.9.2
Why this plugin ?
xili-postinpost is compromise between minimum php coding (but not accessible by everybody) and end-user tool (like widget) *- but with lot of php lines in background -* to afford flexibility for webmaster and data-designer for CMS. The core function of the plugin ( `xi_postinpost()` ) and its rich argument (array with lot params) was created 3 years ago to insert by example a recent news in header, a target post inside blockquote set in content of a page or a post. Doing a public version is like finishing a book. Remind that free code is not gratis, include fees in quotation for commercial use or clients and donate. For free use, send an email!
Are the queries recursive in widget ?
No, it is only possible to combine one true and another one if the first is false: the syntax is `[condition=… query=…]:[query=…]`. The second part can have is own condition as in screenshot 6.
Please read the readme.txt before. As usually, don't forget to backup the database before major upgrade or testing no-current version found in *other versions* tabs. Upgrading can be easily procedeed through WP admin UI or through ftp.